Call on the European Parliament to Maintain EU Single Market for Road Transport
The under-signed represent logistics service providers, freight forwarders and express carriers whose customers strongly depend on an effective, seamless and reliable road transport sector in Europe. Rules need to be simple, uniform, clear and easily enforceable, so that they facilitate transport operations, protect the workers employed in this industry and ensure a fair competitive environment.
Therefore, signatories call on the European Parliament’s TRAN and EMPL committees to carefully consider the adverse consequences of a lex specialis for road transport (MEP Kyllönen and MEP Dlabajová reports).
Subjecting drivers who are crossing internal EU borders to posting of workers rules.
• goes against the international character of road transport activities.
• is a measure which is difficult to enforce by national authorities.
• does not address the issue of ‘nomadic driving’. The requirement for the driver and the vehicle to return to their place of employment should be included in MEP van de Camp report (proposal COM(2017)277 on maximum daily and weekly driving times).
• does not bring clear benefits to transport operators – as they would be faced with a disproportionate administrative burden on the large intra-EU trade, especially SMEs.
• Negatively impacts the end-consumer – as he would have to pay the bill for unenforceable and disproportionate legislation.
Signatories therefore call on MEPs to support all amendments tabled which aim to totally exclude international transport from posting rules.
CLECAT - European Association for Forwarding, Transport, Logistics and Customs Services
EEA - European Express Association
FIATA - International Federation of Freight Forwarders Associations